Downloads

The Village Society have made available a series of booklets and articles taken from booklets that are now out of print. Please feel free to download these but if you use any information from them please credit the Histon and Impington Village Society and authors where known.

History of Histon 1894-1994

This booklet was first published in 1994 to celebrate the centenary of Histon Parish Council. It is a history of Histon as seen through the pages of the parish council minutes. Compiled by Eleanor Whitehead

Sent by Mail

First published in 1998 this tells the history of Histon and Impington’s post. By using letters, buildings and people it paints a picture of how life in the villages has changed over 150 years. It was written by Stephen Harper-Scott with illustrations by Norman Harper-Scott

A Ramble about New Impington

First published in 1995 it describes the two rambles about Impington, organised by the Village Society History Group in 1993 and1994. It was compiled by Eleanor Whitehead with lovely illustrations by Derek Frost

A walk around the centre of Histon

A compilation of 3 booklets by Dellas & Ken Oates this takes a comprehensive look at Windmill Lane, The Green, Glebe Way, Water Lane, Station Road, High Street, Church Street and Cottenham Road as well as many others. Information about the origins and uses of various houses is given and it includes some lovely old photographs.

Impington Village College

This is the transcript of a talk about the history of Impington Village College by John Brackenbury M.B.E., B.A. It was written for the 40th anniversary of the college.

The Man who moved a Windmill

This is the story of Mr Charles Jordan Ison 1899-1965

A Histon character of 100 years ago

This is the story of MOSES CARTER 1801-1860 the son of James and Susan Carter otherwise known as THE HISTON GIANT

Recent Posts

Station and Cambridge Roads, Impington

Once the railway was opened in 1847, Station and Cambridge Roads became the focus for village expansion. In 1806 there was nothing but open fields and the windmill. In 1877 a bill of sale advertised land for housing development. By 1886 there was the ‘Railway Vue’, fifty eight new homes and, of course, the massive jam works. Visitors from all over the world saw the area with its orchards, pasture, strawberry fields and young plantations, as a wonderful and healthy location for such an industry. To read more on Impington follow the links

https://histonandimpingtonvillagesociety.wordpress.com/heritage-bulletin-2/station-and-cambridge-roads-impington/

https://histonandimpingtonvillagesociety.wordpress.com/heritage-bulletin-2/highfield-road-impington/

  1. Histon and St Etheldreda Comments Off on Histon and St Etheldreda
  2. Comments Off on
  3. 1897 Celebrating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee Comments Off on 1897 Celebrating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee
  4. Heritage Bulletin Comments Off on Heritage Bulletin
  5. Stone Corner Cottage Heritage Comments Off on Stone Corner Cottage Heritage
  6. Sutton Hoo Comments Off on Sutton Hoo
  7. Want to know about the history of Histon and Impington? Comments Off on Want to know about the history of Histon and Impington?
  8. Solving the Housing Problem Comments Off on Solving the Housing Problem
  9. AGM Comments Off on AGM