1.Publications Group- Group leader: Alan Eade Brook House, School Hill, Histon tel 232296
This group has been formed to coordinate the production, marketing and sales of the Society’s publications. It would gladly welcome new members.
2. History Group – joint leaders Jane Gilmour 01223 234176 and Eleanor Whitehead (Archive) 01223 234502
Archive photographs and village memorabilia are collected by this group who meet three times a year to report on work done. Members pursue individual projects, record village events and changes of scene and publish booklets and books on local history. Other activities include displays, talks and assistance to interested parties.
Recently, the group has contributed a considerable quantity of digitalised local WWI VAD memorabilia to the County Library Service. It can be viewed on-line at hhtp://great-war.ccan.co.uk/. This work led to our recent publication “The Way We Were – Recollections of Life in the Villages of Histon & Impington in 1914 ”.
Current projects include maintaining a newspaper article archive first begun in 1980 care of Barbara Parr (contact number 01223 233397) , digitalisation of Histon and Impington 1911 land tax records, compilation of WWI veteran information including the significant role of 42nd Histon Red Cross Detachment and the production of our forthcoming publication “Impington Hall, its Owners and Estates”, which is to be published in July 2016.
In February 2016 an exciting project ‘Histon and Impington Archaeology’ was inaugurated by David Oates in partnership with the Village Society. It is open to all residents, who would love to take a part in some practical village archaeology. Please refer to Recent Posts – ‘Archaeology Project’ for further details.
A long term project to record and transcribe the memories of senior members of the community was begun in 2013 under the direction of Geoffrey Smallwood. If you are interested in contributing to such a project please contact him directly on 01223 234258.
3. Projects Group. Contact Alan Eade, see Publications Group above.
Early projects included the restoration of the wrought iron surround to the Blacksmith’s Grave, the circular George V Jubilee seat at School Hill (subsequently replaced by Histon Parish Council), the Histon Giant’s grave and the Pump on Histon Green. In July 2009, as part of the Society’s 30th anniversary celebrations, a plaque to commemorate the site of the former Impington Hall and its connection with Percheron Close was unveiled.
A further plaque was unveiled on Impington Lane commemorating William Unwin, Seedsman in 2012 as part of the Feast celebrations.
Led by the H&I PC Environmental Group work continues on restoring the cast iron street signs, the service building on the Mill Lane Burial Ground, the agricultural lift pump at New Road Recreation Ground and completion of the rebuilding of the crossing keeper’s hut which formerly stood opposite Histon Railway Station.
4. Environmental Group Until recently this Group concerned themselves with the preservation of open green spaces, the preservation and marking of Public Rights of Way and keeping a watching brief on Planning Applications as well as formulating responses, where appropriate. In conjunction with the Cambridgeshire County Council Rural Group, a Beating the Bounds leaflet was published, which was distributed to all local households. Public Footpath map-boards were designed and commissioned for Histon and Impington and set up in three prominent locations. The Group reforms as needed. It organised a successful 12 km Country Walk as part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations. At the request of the newly formed Histon and Impington Parish Council Planning Sub-committee, a document listing and describing properties of architectural and/or historical interest within the villages was compiled. Digital copies are available from our Secretary.